HomeBrowseAdvanced SearchAboutHelpContact

Fulton/Howe Family Collection

Scope & content

In the early 1960s Mary Howe and her husband Marshall N. Fulton, owners of Ferrycliffe Farm in Bristol, learned that Roger Williams College, then housed in the basement of the YMCA in Providence, was looking to build a new campus. The College acquired 63 acres of farmland from the Fultons, and in 1967 construction began. The remaining 50 acres of land were sold to the University in the early 1990s. Ferrycliffe Farm dates back to 1877, when the 130-acre property was purchased by Dr. Herbert Marshall Howe with the intent of raising Jersey cows and sheep. At the time, Ferrycliffe lands extended across Metacom Avenue to the west shore of Bristol Point. Herbert grew up knowing Bristol Point well, having summered there with his father, Bishop Mark Antony DeWolf Howe. Dr. Howe took great pride in his Jerseys. The prize of the herd was a magnificent bull named Gilderoy, born in 1876 and noted for a number of statewide and New England prizes. After Herbert and his wife Edith's deaths, the farm was taken over by their daughter Edith and her husband Dr. Halsey DeWolf. Ferrycliffe's cows continued to win acclaim, as did its turkeys. Farming continued on a smaller scale through the 1950s under the ownership of Dr. Howe's granddaughter Mary Howe DeWolf and her husband Marshall N Fulton.

The finding aid will be updated as we continue to process the collection.