HomeBrowseAdvanced SearchAboutHelpContact

French River Textile Company records

Historical note

The French River Textile Company was incorporated first in Rhode Island in 1897 by Frank A. Sayles, Alfred M. Coats, John Simson, and James B. Kirkaldy. Although the mill itself was located in Mechanicville, the business seat was in the Slater Trust Company in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. A charter of incorporation was granted in September, 1916, by the State of Connecticut to Charles O. Read, Andrew E. Jencks, and Edward E. Dodge, all officers of the company in Rhode Island. Frank A. Sayles was the principal shareholder and was president of the company until his death in 1920.

Like most large textile companies, French River maintained a sales office in New York City. The company also owned and operated the French River Inn and the Sayles Farm, both of which were also located in Mechanicsville and were run as adjuncts of the mill. The mill was sold in 1920, with other properties, to meet state and federal tax liabilities arising on the death of F.A. Sayles. The inn and the farm were sold, along with some inventory goods, in April 1923, to the Beachmont Worsted Company of Guerin Mills, Inc., of Woonsocket, Rhode Island. Remaining assets after the sales were assigned to the TARSCO Corporation of Pawtucket, Rhode Island.