HomeBrowseAdvanced SearchAboutHelpContact

Nelson W. Aldrich papers

Administrative Information

ABOUT THE COLLECTION 
Acquisition:The papers of Nelson W. Aldrich, United States representative and senator from Rhode Island, financier, and philanthropist, were given to the Library of Congress in four installments. The first was received in 1944 from Aldrich’s children, Winthrop W. Aldrich and Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., donated additions to the collection in 1955 and 1956 from the papers of his late wife, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. The last installment was given by the Seminary of Our Lady of Providence, Rhode Island, in 1970. In 1972, the Aldrich papers were microfilmed by the Library of Congress, who then gave a copy of the microfilm to Our Lady of Providence Seminary, which was located in the former Aldrich Mansion overlooking Narragansett Bay. In 1939, seventy-five acres of the Aldrich Mansion estate were transferred by the Senator’s heirs to the Providence Diocese for a token sum and in 1946 Our Lady of Providence Seminary made the Aldrich Mansion its home. When the Seminary relocated in the 1980's the microfilm was sent to the Diocese's Chancery. Rev. Robert W. Hayman, a Providence College History Department faculty member, who had become familiar with the collection through his research on the history of the Diocese, believed the collection would be more accessible for researchers if it were deposited with the College. As a result of Father Hayman's recommendation the collection was transferred to the College in 1998.
ABOUT THE FINDING AID 
Author:Finding aid prepared by Russell Franks.
Encoding:Finding aid encoded by Russell Franks 2013 February 28
Descriptive rules:Finding aid based on Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS)