HomeBrowseAdvanced SearchAboutHelpContact

Episcopal Church Women of Rhode Island

Historical Information

The Episcopal Church Women, Diocese of Rhode Island, was founded in 1878 as the Rhode Island Branch of the Woman's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions. As its role broadened and became more central to the life of the Episcopal Church, the organization changed its name to that of Episcopal Church Women in 1959. Today it is a charitable and service organization of women affiliated with the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island. The state organization is a loose association of local parish groups which is in turn part of a regional and national organization of Episcopal Church Women. At the state level, the organization is concerned primarily with fund-raising and service activities for a wide range of social service agencies and overseas missions.